Thursday, December 3, 2009

Cookbook, or autobiography?


Recently I was commissioned to take a woman's family recipes, and type them all up for a book. The woman was dying of cancer, and wanted her recipes to be preserved for her children. I can't imagine knowing that you are going to leave your family behind. Your mind buzzing with everything you wouldn't be able to do for them anymore. For Fern, it was her recipes. She had created them tweaking them into perfection for years, and wanted to know she would live on through them.

She gave me a ziploc bag full of scraps of paper and recipe cards. She knew that I would understand as I am a cook, and I did. I wanted her to know that it would be taken care of before she died. So I read each recipe, and I researched them on the internet to make sure I was getting them right. I attached the notes that were left on the bottom of the cards like, “Grandma and I made this for Easter, and Gary came back for thirds!” I spent hours organizing, and typing, and saved all of it. When I delivered it to Fern, a look of relief came over her face. She knew that even though she wouldn't be there for thanksgiving, her pumpkin pie would be, and that was enough.  

No comments:

Post a Comment